Now Brewing Sr. Associate Ethics & Compliance Investigator
About the job
As an Investigator on the Global Investigations team, you will partner with Partner Resources (Human Resources), Internal Audit, Information Technology, Legal, and several other teams to protect our partners and our culture. You have effective analytical skills, believe no task is too small or too big to take on, and are comfortable presenting to any level of the organization in true partnership with our stakeholders. You will contribute an aptitude for customer service and adaptability to work effectively within a fast-paced environment.
Your primary responsibilities will include conducting and supporting internal investigations relating to Starbucks Code of Business Conduct and other policies and procedures, reviewing findings and making recommendations based on those investigations. In this role, you’ll get to use and develop your forensic experience, knowledge and ability to assess compliance risks. You may also have the opportunity to work on/support other ethics and compliance initiatives.
What you’ll do
- Perform and support a wide range of Ethics & Compliance related investigations – create and execute on investigation plans, find, review and analyze information, conduct interviews, prepare investigation reports and presentations, and maintain investigation records
- Work independently and collaboratively with cross-functional teams on time sensitive investigations and other activities
- Help build investigative capability to ensure consistency and quality of investigations across the organization – guiding & supporting cross-functional peers in investigations of lower risk matters.
- Conduct regular assessments on the potential causes of misconduct and recommend areas to be reviewed to prevent/minimize similar instances from occurring again.
What you’ll need to succeed…
- A passion for ethics and compliance, a strong moral compass, a keen sense of curiosity and excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Be proactive, highly responsive, sensitive to confidentiality concerns, ability to empathize while maintaining professional objectivity, collaborative in close team environment, diplomatic, and flexible in adapting to occasional changes in case priorities
- An even temperament and ability to facilitate effective interactions with partners from barista to vp-level, as well as with cross-functional partners
- Strong verbal communication and writing skills that allow you to convey your investigative findings clearly, concisely, and persuasively
- Excellent assessment and behavioral analysis skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail and a positive attitude with good judgment and the ability to prioritize and simultaneously manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to employ a variety of investigative tactics, including use of various interview styles and other information-gathering methods, leveraging business acumen and insights to effectively manage investigations in the company matrix model including across multiple sets of stakeholders
- Ability to interpret and contextualize rules, guidelines, policies, procedures and controls
- Ability to listen, but also to persuasively convey opinions and recommendations
- Ability to be viewed as approachable and objective with a keen understanding and sensitivity to confidentiality
- Ability to identify and assess risk, as well as prioritize your workload in a manner that most effectively mitigates risk while providing superior partner care
- Ability to build strong relationships and influence without authority
Summary of Experience
- Experience conducting internal investigations including intake, determination if an investigation or referral is warranted, investigation, resolution, summary reports, and recommendations
- Experience in providing assistance with the development of remedial measures of risk areas/gaps identified during investigations
- Experience with and proficiency in database and case management systems and tools, fluency in MS Office Suite, and strong typing skills for notetaking
- B.S., B.A. or at least 3 years of experience conducting legal/compliance investigations in a private sector/public sector environment and/or at least 3 years of Employee Relations, Compliance, Employment Legal or HR Generalist experience
- PHR/SPHR, LPEC, CFI or other similar certifications/education